would like to start off this blog by saying I am not normally a Kenny Chesney fan.I mean, he isn't hard on the eyes, (although I don't think I've ever seen him without his hat on...) He has taken some hits from the media about being in the closet. Especially after his record-breaking marriage to Renee "You had me at hello" Zellwegger.
He has a lot of great songs, especially some of his old stuff. "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" is somewhat of a classic. "I Lost It" is a great one, as is "Don't Happen Twice", "Back Where I Come From" and "The Good Stuff" to name a few. But, then he kind of got into this psuedo-Jimmy-Buffet island/Mexico mindset. And I lost interest. He apparently forgot that he is in fact from Luttrell, TN. I've been to TN, they have some great lakes, but no oceans. His songs "When the Sun Goes Down", "Somewhere in the Sun", and "Beer in Mexico" pretty much made me lose faith in him.
Then his latest cd came out, Poets & Pirates. From the name, I thought it would be more of the same. But, so far I have been impressed. So far, his first two singles off the cd have been great. I liked "Never Wanted Nothing More" immediately. Then, just yesterday I heard his song "Don't Blink" and it seriously made me cry. See below for some of the lyrics (it is so new that there are no websites with the full lyrics, so I had to write these down myself). This song is about a 100 year old man talking about how his life has flown by. Lee & I found the video online last night, and let's just say it was a little dusty in the living room. While researching this blog, I also noticed that he has a song with George Strait on the cd as well. This just keeps getting better and better!!!
And best of all, on the entire cd, no title contains the words "beach", Mexico, or tequila! Hoorah!
Lyrics to "Don't Blink":
Don't blink,
'Cause just like that,
You're 6 years old and you take a nap,
And you wake up and you're 25,
Then your high school sweetheart becomes your wife,
Don't blink,
You just might miss,
Your babies growin' like mine did,
Turnin' into moms and dads,
Next thing you know your better half
Of 50 years is there in bed,
And you're praying God takes you instead,
Trust me friend,
100 years goes faster than you think,
So don't blink
'Cause just like that,
You're 6 years old and you take a nap,
And you wake up and you're 25,
Then your high school sweetheart becomes your wife,
Don't blink,
You just might miss,
Your babies growin' like mine did,
Turnin' into moms and dads,
Next thing you know your better half
Of 50 years is there in bed,
And you're praying God takes you instead,
Trust me friend,
100 years goes faster than you think,
So don't blink
Tell me that isn't touching!!! Kudos to Kenny!!
1 comment:
I don't care a whit about Kenny Chesney, but it's always nice when musicians who go lame come back and be cool again. It's a lesson that Avril Lavigne should learn, or so Tony hopes.
Post a Comment