This article really annoyed me. Berkeley, CA is trying to force the Marine recruiters out of their town.
The controversy erupted last week after the City Council passed an item condemning the Marines' downtown recruiting center on Shattuck Avenue. The item told the U.S. Marines that if its recruiters choose to stay in their rented downtown space "they do so as uninvited and unwelcome guests."
This is a Marine recruiter, not a whore house or strip club. How can you kick them out of town?
GOP lawmakers are now trying to take away Berkeley's funding for a bunch of programs. I guess taking away their money is the only thing they can do to punish them. I wish we could let al Qaeda take them over. Ok, maybe that is a little harsh and drastic. But, I'm sure they would be welcoming the Marines with open arms THEN!
Mayor Tom Bates says he hopes the city can clarify it's position: "I'm not saying we're anti-Marines or anti armed forces. We're just trying to set the record straight that we're against this war. We think it's illegal. We think it's immoral. We think it's wrong and we think we've been lied to. We want this war to be over."
I just wonder how the Mayor can speak for EVERY person in the city. I know it is a liberal majority, but that doesn't mean that everyone thinks exactly the same in the city.
"I'm against war, but I think if we didn't have the Marines we'd probably all be speaking German," said Ralph Kratz of Richmond.
Amen, Ralph. Amen.
1 comment:
There's even more. The ordinance also gave a permanent parking spot to Code Pink (a far-left anti-war group), along with some kind of permit to make noise outside the recruting office.
If they don't like the military so much, maybe we should tell the world that Berkeley is no longer part of the US and we will no longer protect them under our military. Let's see is Canada, Mexico, China, or Russia invades the city and how fast they come running back to beg the military to protect them.
I can feel a huge rant about these anti-military folks (there are lots of them out there, but most keep their mouths shut about) coming on, so I'll stop.
Post a Comment