Friday, March 7, 2008

3rd verse is about God

I really got into country music when I moved up to Chicago from Indiana. Strange, I know, since you would expect to find more country music in Indiana... But, I guess that is what influences like Reuter & Barry will do for ya.

Over the last 5 years of avid country music listening, I have noticed certain things that are very specific to country music. One of those is what I call "3rd verse God". This is a pattern I have found in a TON of country songs. Basically, the songs consist of 3 verses. The first two are about partying or love or children, then the last verse relates it to God/religion/heaven. I have tried to start a list of songs that have this, but I have not gotten very far (because I keep forgetting). So, if you can think of more, leave me a comment!


Example: "Love Without End, Amen" ~ George Strait (see the Amen already tips you off!)

Verse 1 (about fighting & his father)
I got sent home from school one day with a shiner on my eye.
Fightin' was against the rules and it didn't matter why.
When dad got home I told that story just like I'd rehearsed.
And then stood there on those tremblin' knees and waited for the worst.

And he said, "Let me tell you a secret about a father's love,
A secret that my daddy said was just between us."
He said, "Daddies don't just love their children every now and then.
It's a love without end, amen, it's a love without end, amen."

Verse 2 (about children)
When I became a father in the spring of '81
There was no doubt that stubborn boy was just like my father's son.
And when I thought my patience had been tested to the end,
I took my daddy's secret and I passed it on to him.

Verse 3 (BAM! about God/heaven)
Last night I dreamed I died and stood outside those pearly gates.
When suddenly I realized there must be some mistake.
If they know half the things I've done, they'll never let me in.
And then somewhere from the other side I heard these words again.

And he said, "Let me tell you a secret about a father's love,
A secret that my daddy said was just between us."
He said, "Daddies don't just love their children every now and then.
It's a love without end, amen, it's a love without end, amen."

Other songs that have "3rd verse God":
"Never wanted nothing more" ~ Kenny Chesney
"Small town southern man" ~ Alan Jackson
"You'll always be my baby" ~ Sara Evans (this is actually 2nd verse God!!)
"I love you this much" ~ Jimmy Wayne
"Love me" ~ Colin Raye (this is 2nd verse heaven)
"I'll wait for you" ~ Joe Nichols

1 comment:

Jessica said...

"Love Me" by Colin Raye pretty much fits the mold too.