(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000
(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.
(Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services.)
Now think about this:
Guns:
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188
(Statistics courtesy of the FBI.)
So, doctors are more dangerous than gun owners.
Remember, 'Guns don't kill people, doctors do.'


3 comments:
Love this devils advocate thing. Wouldn't a more accurate statistic be number of surgeries performed each year versus how many accidental deaths? And explain "accidental" gun deaths to me. So this is basically dudes that accidentally shoot themselves or someone else? If that's the case, which I assume it is, the fact that there's 1,500 a year seems really high to me. There's 1,500 people that own guns that are so irresponsible that they actually shoot someone on accident (and don't get me started on people that accidentally shoot themselves)? I mean, if your not a hunter, and you own a gun, how often do you actually discharge it? Although, I guess you could say that accidental means that you shot someone, but accidentally kill them ? Of course, that make no sense at all. And 80 million! WTF! How many people are in the U.S.? Actually, how many responsible people, that you would trust with a gun, live in the U.S.? I mean, if Funks blog entry about "Target Shoppers" is indicative of the general U.S. population, and there's 80 million (with an "M") guns floating around...we're in BIG trouble!
Get some perspective, dude. There are 300 million people in the US. Anyone who lives in the countryside basically has to have one for protection. 80 million is nothing. I would have guessed many more than that.
Besides it doesn't matter since the 2nd amendment allows for individual ownership of firearms. It's a right, and the government can't take it away. There is a case that the Supreme court is going to hear this term regarding the DC gun ban, and they will probably uphold the district court's finding that the ban is unconstitional (and it clearly is, regardless of what anyone thinks of gun ownership). We could finally have some sanity back in firearms laws. Did you know in Chicago it's illegal to even own a pellet gun? How's that (non-pellet) gun ban working here? Better hope nobody busts into your place while you are there, because the ban sure isn't stopping criminals from having guns.
I agree w/ CFunk. I'm not worried about the millions of REGISTERED guns. I'm worried about the ones that the criminals have with the serial number scraped off. Gun laws only keep guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens. I've always wondered how Chicago had a city wide ban on guns. Funny, it didn't seem to stop people from getting murdered.
Post a Comment