Saturday: Saturday we flew into Indianapolis. We went to see my cousin's new apartment (she moved to West Lafayette from Kokomo), then picked up our U-Haul. First stop was Lee's brothers for a couch & loveseat that we were storing there. Then, onto my mom's for most everything from my Chicago condo that I didn't take to Norfolk... Plus, almost all of our wedding gifts! After that, we headed up to Monticello to get some boxes we had been storing at Lee's parents' house and a couple pieces of furniture donated from the Klemme's. After this, we were beat, but still opted to head back to West Lafayette to hit up Harry's. Harry's was awesome. Lee has given up beer for Lent, and as most of us know, Harry's has some stiff mixed drinks. So, I ended up driving back to Monticello with a passed out husband spilling popcorn all over the car. Lee ended up spending most of his night "sleeping" at the kitchen table.
Sunday: We got up early on Sunday to head to DeMotte. As Lee and I were pulling into our neighborhood, we saw lots & lots of water. I was starting to panic that our house was going to be flooded. We got to our house and sure enough, the back yard looked like a lake. But, the house looked like it had survived the flood well. Our realtor was supposed to leave the door unlocked, but alas, she had not. So, we had to sit outside for 15 minutes while the realtor came over. Not happy! Our families started showing up at this point and the truck got unloaded in record time. Not only did they unload the truck, but they unpacked all the boxes! SWEET! I may not know where anything is in my own kitchen, but I'll figure it out! After paying for their help with pizza, everyone left. Lee and I headed up to the "bigger city" of Merrillville to get a Costco membership and pickup some random goods.
Sunday evening, we went to a bar called Holley's Restaurant & Lounge. It was your classic Indiana bar, where NASCAR is the hot topic, Toby Keith is playing on the juke box, and the big argument is over who will win tonight's Purdue/IU game. There, I pointed out a cardboard sign to Lee that said:
As of February 1st, the price of domestic beer will go up to $2.25.Phew! Don't know if I can afford those new stiff prices!!
Monday: We got up Monday morning and drove up to Hammond so Lee could visit the Calumet College of St. Joseph's, the school he plans to attend. We got good news there! Lee has earned enough credits in his couple semesters at Purdue and his time in the Navy that he qualifies for the "Adult Accelerated" program. This means he should wrap up school in 18 short months!! Awesome!
After this, we made our way back to Lafayette. We were about to head to the Indy airport when we got an automated phone call saying that our flight had been cancelled. (WHY DID I GIVE UP SWEARING FOR LENT?) After quite a few schedule changes and delays, we finally got a flight into Newport News, VA (about a 1/2 hour from where our car was parked at the Norfolk airport). Finally made it home at 12:30am. Just in time for 4 quick hours of sleep before we both had to be awake. Lee was headed out to sea and I was headed up to DC. So tired!!
4 comments:
Yes! You are now from NWI. I'm proud.
I can not wait to go to Holley's restuarant and lounge!
I cannot wait to see the new digs in person!
Costco is the best. I make up excuses to go there all the time.
Mmm, bulky...
Post a Comment