Monday, December 8, 2008

The fireplace saga

*
Our house was built in 1974. Over the years, parts have been updated. The people before us updated most everything. However, there are still random hideous gold stuff. Which looks extra bad since a lot of things have been updated to have brushed nickel. So, we have been slowly getting rid of the gold crap left around the house.

Last week, we turned our attention to the fireplace. Lee is going to be building a mantel for the fireplace when he is done with the bathroom, but the doors of the fireplace were that hideous bright gold. We started looking into how much it would cost to buy a new set of doors. Turns out, it would run about $300 for a cheap set! That hurts the ol' one income bank account.

So, Lee decided that he would paint our current doors. I agreed since worst case scenario we just have to dish out the $300, which is where we basically are now. So, he got some grill paint that withstands heat, and painted it black. I was nervous to see it when I got home from work, but I must say, I am quite happy with how it turned out!

However, Lee got greedy and decided to try to paint our fireplace tools as well. It was going fine, until he tried to tighten the stand and broke it. Whoops.

Now, we just have to figure out how to get our gas fireplace to WORK!

2 comments:

ahow628 said...

My parents have that same clock, I think. I think they got theirs at Hobby Lobby or Michael's.

Irregardless, it looks good!

Jessica said...

In stead of replacing all our kitchen hardware, which was that awful gold, I spray painted them with Rustoleum...they seem to be holding up quit well.