Monday, November 19, 2007

Free Shipping

This morning was my commute up to McLean. This is a 3.5 hour drive and I leave at 4:30am. OUCH. But, if I leave any later, the traffic is even worse and it is more like a 4 hour drive.

Anyway, this morning on the radio they were talking about Thanksgiving and Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving). I was wondering why they called it Black Friday.

Wikipedia to the RESCUUUUE!

...the term "Black Friday" has been traced back only to the 1970's. "Black Friday" was originally so named because of the heavy traffic on that day, although most contemporary uses of the term refer instead to it as the beginning of the period in which retailers are in the black (i.e., turning a profit).

On the radio they were saying that now Monday is supposedly the biggest INTERNET shopping day of the year. Apparently people miss out on Black Friday and decide to "multi-task" on Monday. The radio peeps said to watch out for lots of online companies to offer free shipping to entice more shoppers...

Since arriving at work, I have received THREE of these "free shipping" offers:
Bed Bath & Beyond ~ Hurry! FREE Shipping on orders over $100.
Red Envelope ~ Pass the Gravy: Free Shipping Thanksgiving Week
J. Crew ~ Very Merry Gifts + FREE SHIPPING

(I like the Red Envelope one best because it mentions gravy. Mmmm.)

No comments: