Thursday, May 29, 2008

White Girls, Not a Security Threat

Today we are having a baby shower at work for my friend Katie. She is due June 21st with her first child. (It's a boy!) As usual, the 4 women in the office got an email to plan the baby shower. (In this case, I definitely don't mind since Katie is a friend. But, I don't understand why it is the girls' duty. Men also have children, last time I checked. And, of the people in the office, all the men have children, but two of the women don't. I got stuck with the duty once when I worked at Deloitte, and I made my co-worker Derrek go with me. Everyone in the office acted like I was crazy to have a guy go with me. Anyway, that's a separate issue.)

So, I stopped by Babies R Us in Merrillville Tuesday night. We had a pretty decent chunk of change to spend, so I wanted to get some of the big items. I went for a swing, and a large jungle play mat (which you can't quite see behind the swing in the picture). I also got a couple small things and made Rice Krispie Treats. So, as I was loading this heavy swing & awkward play mat into my car, I had a realization. How the f___ am I going to get this to work?

After talking with Mich & brainstorming, it seemed the only way was to drive in to work, stop in front of the building, drop the stuff off, THEN go park my car.

I stopped my car in front of my building, ran inside with the huge wrapped box and asked the security guy if I could leave it while I went & parked my car. He looked suspicious for a second. Looked at the box, then looked at me... Assessed whether I might be a terrorist. Apparently decided I wasn't, and had me put the box directly next to the security desk. Boy, his face would have been red if the box had been ticking! Apparently, I do not look like a terrorist.

I guess this is the same reason that they never check my receipt when I'm leaving Best Buy.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

you must just have that good old honest Indiana look about you.

Cletus Van Dam said...

We don't get asked to plan baby showers because, left to our own devices, we would never have them. They are a 100% girly thing to do. Plus, we have no idea what to buy.