Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hawaii - Part 2

Monday we went on a tour of an active volcano, Kilauea.









Mom & I w/ the smoke from the volcano.













There were steam vents, which were holes in the ground where some of the heat of the volcano could escape. Here my mom is getting steamed. She didn't believe it when she was told it was hot.













This is a fireplace of Pele, the goddess of the volcano & the island. The fire in this fireplace has been burning for like 130 years. Crazy!










Here I am standing in a lava tube. This is an underground cave, basically, which lava flows through... Or used to flow through.


Oh yeah, and this is a picture of a FLOWER that is worth $20,000. It isn't even pretty! Who would pay that much for a flower? I guess it's super rare... I'd probably kill it w/ my lack of green thumb!

Tuesday's pictures need to be scanned since they were on my disposable camera!

On Wednesday, we got massages. Glorious! Probably the best massage I've ever had! Then, we just hung out. In the evening, we went into the internet cafe so I could email Lee for his birthday. Then, my mom & I went and got a piece of pizza. Dawn eats super healthy, so, we were craving crap food! While in the pizza place, we saw an older guy wearing a Purdue hat! We started talking to them, they live near South Bend. They told us that they were going to see where the lava flows into the ocean. They told us where it was, so after finishing our pizza, my mom & I decided to check it out.

First we had to drive through about 5 miles of lava fields. It was pretty crazy, it kind of felt like you were driving on the moon or something.





Next we parked and then had to walk about another 3/4 of a mile through lava fields to get to the ocean. Everyone had flashlights. That would have been smart. My mom & I didn't, and walking over uneven black lava at night is quite a challenge!



There were a ton of people watching. It was pretty cool. When a big wave would hit, it almost looked like fireworks. You'd hear the sizzle and everything. It was cool to be watching land being made!





I couldn't get any good pics with my digital camera, because it was dark out, so on the way out I bought a professional pic of the lava flowing into the ocean. This guy takes his boat out and gets these pictures. He recently sunk a boat! Crazy dude!

I will do one more blog containing Tues/Thurs/Fri later on!

No comments: