Wednesday, June 9, 2010

H2O

As I believe I mentioned, last week, Taryn started swim lessons at the YMCA (and I didn't see the Village People anywhere). The classes are Parent/Child, which means I have to bathing-suit-up as well. The classes are on Monday and Wednesday nights from 6:30-7:10pm. The age range for the classes goes from 6 months-3 years. Taryn is on the younger side for the class. There is only one boy that is younger. There are a few little ones close to her age though. This class is really just about getting the kids used to water, so they play with toys and we sing songs and... Well, I guess that's about it. I was hoping for a little more, but I guess I had some unrealistic aspirations in mind.
Taryn spends most of her time looking around at other people, saying "HI" and waving to people (sometimes with both hands). The teacher is always telling us to do things like "get your child to blow bubbles in the water", "get your child to reach for things to get her stroke started"... Yeah, um, I can't get my child to stop being Miss America long enough to even pay attention to me!
This is the one part of class that Taryn likes and pays attention to. They sit on the edge and wait 1... 2... 3! Then she "jumps" in the water. (Jumps = I pull her in.) She laughs and screams in a happy way.
This is Taryn's LEAST favorite part of the class. The ol' laying on your back. She gets a... Well... The only way I can think to describe it is a constipated look on her face and sucks her legs up into the fetal position. Which is really the wrong thing to do because it causes her to sink.
My mom has come to watch the class a couple times (she is on summer break and has some spare time to fill). Lee came for the first time tonight. When we left, I said, "So, what did you think?" "Pretty lame." I guess he was expecting an Olympic swim meet? Too bad for him, he is going to be the one in the pool next week!

2 comments:

ahow628 said...

Yes! We just started lessons on Tuesday (and have our second lesson tonight). I was afraid the girls would be traumatized by getting dunked underwater, but they just are a little shocked and then clap. Tonight we are jumping in, first thing.

Christie said...

So cute! I used to teach this class and it was always so fun to watch the kids experience being in the water for the first time. So fun!!