On Friday my Geometry classes finished up the last section of the last chapter of our entire textbook. Woohoo! We even did it with a few days to spare. Since many of my students claim that math is useless, I decided to make them look into careers that use mathematics, their salaries, their job satisfaction, all of that jazz. My expectations were pretty low. I've seen some of my students' writing and it is pretty atrocious. What I got... A lot of plagiarism mixed with some ridiculousness. Thought I would share a few snippets.
Topic: Actuary (yeah, this is one you're not going to be able to BS)
I could tell that the student had straight up copy-pasted his whole paper, but I really couldn't prove it until this spot:
"The goals of the program include that students be well prepared for the exams they tak, that they will be knowledgeable about the career and in technical areas, and that they have a well-rounded education. In addition, we hope that many students will have passed the Course 1 exam by January of their Junio year to help when applying for internships, and at least one more exam by January of their Senior year when they are applying for permanent jobs."
Um, who is this "we"?
Topic: Was supposed to be Civil Engineer. Somehow he did Sociologist.
This student also had a bunch of garbage that was clearly copied off of the internet. Then...
"The presidential election of 1996, for example, turns on the tide of voter sentiment regarding the controvesial issues of welfare, immigration, and abortion rights."
What?!? I am so confused.
Topic: Computer Programmer
I appreciate that this student did not just copy off the internet. I just thought this part was funny/cute.
"To be able to be a computer programmer you have to be able to speak computer languages."
I guess you would be speaking in binary? 1-0-0-1-0-1
Topic: Actuary (again)
"Actuaries have desk jobs, and their offices usually are comfortable and pleasant."
Mmm, I do remember feeling warm and cozy in my cubicle.
Topic: Math Scientist
This is the entire paper this student submitted. Keep in mind I said it should be a page long...
"Math scientists figure out problem that no one can also they make different equations and find different ways to find out easyer ways to figure out problems. they make about 75,000 a year they work in labs."
Topic: Inventory Stragist
"A inventory stragist could work anywhere most commonly they work at clothing stores like the gap, banana Republican..."
Banana Republican... Is that where George W shops?
After reading these, I understand why our school is on academic probation!
No comments:
Post a Comment