Monday, July 5, 2010

I'm a Rambler!



Not a Loyola Rambler like so many of my readers... I am an Attica Red Rambler. Attica Jr. Sr. High School is located in Attica, IN (duh). It is a small school that contains grades 7th-12th and still only has about 450 students (like 60 per grade). I will be teaching four Geometry classes and two remedial Algebra I classes. Our math department at Attica consists of three teachers and one of the other teachers is brand new out of college. We actually had a couple classes together at Purdue. The third teacher has been teaching for about 10 years, but only at Attica for the last 3. It is going to be rather nice having such a small, young department. Definitely gives us a lot of freedom! Attica is about 25 miles southwest of Lafayette, so the commute will only take about a 1/2 hour, which is awesome. The only thing I'm not super pumped about it the technology I have in my classroom... While I do have a few computers, the other technology consists of a tv from 1970 and an overhead projector. So... If anyone has any grants for technology that they know of... Feel free to send it my way!

I was so worried about finding a job in this horrible job market, I am so relieved... But, now I'm starting to worry about getting ready for the school year!!! August 16th will be here before we know it!

Lee, my mom, Taryn and I went over there today to arrange things. We rearranged the desks about 15 times and finally settled on my original design. I made some plans of things I want to bring (like some more shelves). And, I struck gold. I found all of the lesson plans for the teacher that had retired. Sweet! I definitely won't follow them to a tee, but it is definitely nice to have a starting point!

Taryn loved the classroom. She ran around and around the desks, threw some transparencies around, gnawed on a straight edge and danced on top of the desks. She also loved that the window went from ceiling to floor so she could look out. I'm sure she'll get many more chances to run around over the next year! It is just so strange to have my own classroom!!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

A pseudoRambler, but a Rambler nonetheless:)

ahow628 said...

I don't know how old they are, but I know some kids from Attica. Their last name is Hallett and their dad is a chiropractor there in Attica, right next to the school.

I am shocked there are 60 in each class. I would have imagined it was much smaller than that.

Mich said...

Go Ramblers!

Congrats on the new gig. It is so adult of you to have your own classroom - very cool.

Fubar said...

Congratulations on the teaching job! Especially with the condition of our job market right now.

Fubar said...

I also like the setup of your classroom. I really like the long desks and the size of the room. You're lucky you have a couple of whiteboards. They're way nicer than old chalk boards. And don't worry too much about having computers in the room. You're school probably has a computer lab you reserve on most days.